Notice: Undefined index: PHPKITSID in /home/webqwfi8y/html/wochenend-kids.de/include.php on line 42
Wochenend-Kids.de Die erste Deutschsprachige Seite über Disneys Wochenend-Kids - Sophie's Choice related mind-wrecking questions
Wochenend-Kids.de Die erste Deutschsprachige Seite über Disneys Wochenend-Kids - Sophie's Choice related mind-wrecking questions
Start Einloggen Einloggen Die Mitglieder Das Foren-Team Suchfunktion
25807 Posts & 895 Themen in 18 Foren
  Login speichern
Forenübersicht » Off-Topic » English-only » Sophie's Choice related mind-wrecking questions

vorheriges Thema   nächstes Thema
5 Posts in diesem Thema (offen)
Seiten (1): (1)
Autor
Beitrag
Gast Prince Myshkin  
Themenicon    Sophie's Choice related mind-wrecking questions
Gast
Now, I've just been reading about Sophie's Choice and now my head brings up darkish situations all the time... gelangweilt

Gosh, I just wonder, if anyone had to decide whether to chooose their own life or that of their lover's to be ended by a brutal Cosa Nostra guy, would choosing the first make you a hero and the latter a killer yourself, or would that be okay somehow if there was no other choice to survive?

Personally, I don't think that such a person could be refered to as a hero, but also that not many people would give their own lifes for their lover's. But even if they did, wouldn't that lover feel so guilty that he or she wouldn't want to live anyways? Or would they consider their life even more a gift than it was already? Or...

You see, I'm stuck here, would someone comment, please? Hilfe
Beitrag vom 18.11.2006 - 19:51
Diesen Beitrag melden   zum Anfang der Seite
Lorcool ist offline Lorcool  
1190 Beiträge - Hirngeschädigter
Lorcool`s alternatives Ego
First of all, I never read Sophie's Choice, and I don't even know what it's about, so I was totally surprised by the questions coming up here.

To answer your question, I don't know what to think about this subject. I mean, when would one ever get into the situation to chose between one's own life or one's lover's life to be ended? I guess there are lots of people who'd say they'd do anything for their boyfriend/girlfriend, because they love them so much. But would they really die for them? I also don't really think one could speak of them as heros if they died for someone else. It's just too sad to speak of something like that as a heroic action, I think.

Personally, I think I would feel guilty if I chose my boyfriend (or in that case, my imaginary boyfriend) to die. That's the only reason why I'd chose myself to die if anyone had to.
Beitrag vom 19.11.2006 - 15:25
Diesen Beitrag melden   nach weiteren Posts von Lorcool suchen Lorcool`s Profil ansehen Lorcool eine Kurznachricht senden Lorcool zu deinen Freunden hinzufügen zum Anfang der Seite
Gast Prince Myshkin  
Gast
Same over here. And yeah, I know that it is something that you hopefully never get to decide anyways, but still... I had to ask and hopefully I get some more input on that subject.

So, for all of you who don't know what Sophie's Choice is... it 'is a novel written by William Styron about a young American Southerner who wants to be a writer and befriends Nathan, who is Jewish, and his beautiful lover Sophie, a Polish (but not Jewish) survivor of the Nazi concentration camps' [from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_Choice; I guess you'd prefer de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophies_Entscheidung]. That Sophie had to decide which one of her children she would give the Nazis to bring it to the concentration camps and which should survive. She choose her little daughter to die and her son to live, but I can't really understand why. Maybe I should read the whole thing before wondering... zwinkern

Der Post wurde 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Prince Myshkin am 19.11.2006 - 15:54.
Beitrag vom 19.11.2006 - 15:52
mikemills ist offline mikemills  
2225 Beiträge - Inventar
Hi,
I often think about questions like those. And I never found an answer to this question, because NOBODY would know what he would do in this situation. And, believe in me, you will never get into this situation.

What I would do is try to rescue both of us. It`s only psychologic, because the survivor would live with self-suspictions for its lifetime. And how would your own life be like then? Would you be able to enjoy it? Would you be able to live in peace?
I think there is the real problem.
Beitrag vom 19.11.2006 - 18:27
Diesen Beitrag melden   nach weiteren Posts von mikemills suchen mikemills`s Profil ansehen mikemills eine E-Mail senden mikemills eine Kurznachricht senden mikemills`s Homepage besuchen mikemills zu deinen Freunden hinzufügen zum Anfang der Seite
Gast Prince Myshkin  
Gast
Okay, that is true, you can't tell now cause you cannot possibly know what such a position would feel like.

But just take it from me: I would never give away the life of somebody I love for my own. I am so certain now because I just lost myself in my daughter's eyes... she is such a beautiful kid and she has all her life before her. Hell, the world will be her oyster if she wants it to. I'm so undescribably happy for being given this chance. Smile Smile Smile

And there we go back to Sophie's choice: how can somebody possibly decide which child should die and which should live? And then, how would that situation be like for the actual children hearing that "deal"? They must have been like 'WTF überrascht' and 'Stupid'... I can only assume though, still didn't have the time to get a hardcopy of that novel. zwinkern

EDIT: corrected spelling mistake.

Der Post wurde 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Prince Myshkin am 23.11.2006 - 13:25.
Beitrag vom 21.11.2006 - 20:43
Baumstruktur - Signaturen anzeigen
Seiten (1): (1)
vorheriges Thema   nächstes Thema

Gehe zu:  
Es ist / sind gerade keine registrierte(r) Benutzer und 27 Gäste online. Neuester Benutzer: anyway
Mit 441 Besuchern waren am 19.06.2016 - 02:45 die meisten Besucher gleichzeitig online.
Alles gute zum Geburtstag    Wir gratulieren ganz herzlich zum Geburtstag:
LorFan (33)
aktive Themen der letzten 24 Stunden - Top-User

Wochenend-Kids.de © 2024
Seite in 0.11919 sec generiert